Tuesday 10 May 2011

So many pubs … so little time, Here, there and everywhere …

It’s been a while since I’ve managed to get round to an update, seems there just aren’t enough hours in a day to drink cider, eat baguettes and write a blog … and now I’m stuck with having to remember where I’ve been and what I’ve had.
 
Ages ago I visited the twenty-ager in Bournemouth and she took me to her local down the road which had recently reopened after an extensive renovation. I remember they had Aspall’s on draught and that I had something to eat, but all I remember is that it wasn’t a tuna baguette and then, to make matters worse, I can’t even remember the name of the place … so no point giving any points for that at all!

I also spent a day at the Tuckers Maltings Beer Festival in Newton Abbot … where I was horrifed to discover that despite having two hundred and thirty something real ales for the punters they had absolutely NO cider on offer. None. Not even a sip.  Luckily the Maltings shop next door had some local bottle cider available to purchase, so I sampled the delights of Winkleigh Cider Co. Sam’s Dry and Green Valley’s Sparkling Vintage and Dragon Tears. At 8.3% the Sparkling Vintage was probably the strongest cider I’ve ever had, and I had to have a nap on the grass to recover!

As well as being home to one of the few remaining Maltings in the UK Newton Abbot also boasts a Cider House – Ye Olde Cider Bar – serving noth9ing BUT cider, I shall have my revenge on those real ale buffs on a return visit to the town one day!

Then last month I went to the New Inn at Cross, where I probably had a pint of Thatcher’s Gold (because I know they serve it there!) and I also had an evening meal, so again no baguette. The New Inn is a good pub if you want a delicious meal, sometimes they have exotic things like Ostrich on the menu and the whitebait is scrummy. I wish I could mention the sandwich and baguette selection … but I can’t.  The evening we went the local table skittles league as in action – something of a rarity in these parts!

I’ve also had trips to The Lamb in Axbridge, a couple of pubs in Bristol that I can’t even remember and been back to The Crossways at West Hunstpill where I was delighted to find they now serve Thatchers Gold “Slush Puppy” which is probably my all time favourite summer drink! (If you’ve never sampled the delights of iced cider I recommend you do asap.  I’m looking forward to a return trip to The Crossways soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment